Advice for expats
I’ve tried to find out where the following ’10 Commandments for Expats’ originated, but cannot. Therefore, I share it here with gratitude to whoever originally posted it online so we can all enjoy and contemplate the great advice.
- Thou shalt not expect to find things as thou hast them at home for, verily, thou hadst left home to explore different things.
- Thou shalt not take anything too seriously, for a carefree mind is essential for a healthy body.
- Thou shalt not let other expats get upon thy nerves, for one or both of you art likely to be transferred soon anyway.
- Thou shalt refrain from acting exceedingly high and mighty, for thou art the same person thou wast before thou had a cleaning lady.
- Thou shalt not buy everything thou sees; thou already hast a houseful of things stored in thy home country.
- Thou shalt not sit and mope and feel unwanted or unskilled; there art many people who would be grateful for the donation of time and energy.
- Thou shalt not worry, for he who worrieth hath no pleasure – and few things are ever fatal.
- When in Rome, thou shalt be prepared to do somewhat as the Romans do.
- Thou shalt not judge the people of the country by the one person who hast given thee the most trouble.
- Remember that thou art a guest in a foreign land, and he who treateth his host with respect shall be honoured and might even receiveth an invitation to visit again.
And 3 more…
- Remember to take only half the clothes you think you need… and twice the amount of money.
- Remember thy passport so thou knowest where it is at all times… for a man without a passport is a man without a country.
- Remember if we are expected to stay in one place we would have been created with roots.
Hope these help! I really should take more notice of commandment number 5.
Find out how to prepare for the reality of relocation
I offer one-to-one support and targeted help and advice to help YOU navigate your own expat journey. I can make sure you are well-prepared for expat life. Hop on a FREE call with me to find out moreLet's chat!
I love this! As a long term Expat I need reminding! I want to share this with so many!
Thank you! Please do share 😀
Its as if you spoke my mind! I keep meeting people who keep longingly thinking about how it is in their own countries and I’m like, live in the presence and enjoy it to the fullest!
I’m glad you enjoyed this!
Brilliant! and true…..